Monday, September 23, 2013

Author Interview - Saoirse O'Mara

Today, we have Saoirse O'Mara. She's stopped by to tell us about her book The Lost Diadem.

1. Tell us a bit about yourself.

I’m a German writer of children’s and YA books, and I’m home in the fantasy and mystery genres. My books are written in either English or German, depending on what the story calls for, although most of my books (all my print books and most of my ebooks) are available in English, and only my children’s book series “Miro the Dragon” and two other children’s stories have been originally written in German.

In my free time, I’m an avid reader and gamer. I usually read books in their original language and have books in six different languages in my bookshelf. They are fantasy books, mystery books, a few children’s books, and some others. They currently share the shelf space with the first eight seasons of NCIS (five of which I've already watched with my hubby).

2. How long have you been writing?

The question should be: What part of my life haven’t I been writing? And the answer would be: The first five years, until I learnt how to read and write. I've always made up stories in my mind, and with the ability to write came the urge to write those stories down.

3. What is The Lost Diadem about?

It’s about two young people, Govin and Tayla, who meet under circumstances that force them to make a choice between what’s easy and what’s right. Govin works for the City Guard, and Tayla is caught as the main suspect in a theft (after she tried to pickpocket Govin). Instead of taking the easy route, they do what’s right and decide to work together to catch the real thief. A task that isn't without danger….

4. How did you come up with the plot?

I didn't; my muse whispered it into my brain while I was typing. No, seriously, I hardly plot at all. I just sit down and start writing, and then watch the story unfold.

5. Tell us about Tayla.

Tayla is where she is due to unfortunate events in her life, not because she likes stealing. Given the chance, she’ll choose honest work above living in the streets scraping by. She doesn't trust people as quickly as others but once she has decided someone is a friend, she is loyal.

6. What do you feel sets your book apart from others of the same genre?

I mixed fantasy and mystery, my two favourite genres, to create a series of stand-alone mystery stories set in the fantastic city of Davon, where magic exists and people still live in an aristocracy of some sort. Govin and Tayla aren't out to fight some big evil to save the world; instead, they are solving crimes and mysterious happenings in their home town.

7. Did you have any specific goals when writing The Lost Diadem? Any themes or ideas or concepts that you wanted to get across to the audience?

Yes, I wanted to get across that doing the right thing isn't always the easy way out but that it’s worth it in the end. And I also wanted to show my readers that it doesn't matter from which background someone comes as long as they are the right kind of person.

8. How long did it take you to write The Lost Diadem? Did you hire any outside help such as a cover artist or editor?

I think it took me only two months to write that book. I then had the help of a brutally honest beta reader and two proofreaders to get the manuscript polished since even as a professional editor, I wouldn't have wanted to publish my book without some outside help. My cover was done by the amazing young artist Svenja Liv, who also did the cover and illustrations for my children’s book Miro the Dragon.

9. Who has been your biggest supporter in your writing aspirations? How do they support you?

My biggest supporter is my husband. He believes in me, he’s my most critical beta reader, and he puts up with all my weird moods and sudden flashes of writing in the middle of doing something else.

10. As I'm sure you know, many readers like to find their favorite authors on social networking websites like facebook and twitter. Do you have any social network or website links you'd like to share?

I created a fan page for each of my two book series on Facebook since each has its own audience. You can find them at http://facebook.com/ARoguesTale and http://facebook.com/MiroDrakonia. You can also find me on Twitter: @saoirseomara

11. What do you feel are the most important aspects of a great book?

The most important aspect, without doubt, is a good story. Even the best story is hard to read without proper editing, though, so for a really great book, I think both a great story and good editing need to come together.

12. Have you ever sat down to write a scene only to have the story take you in a completely different direction than you had planned?

Um…actually…that happens all the time. I’m a pantser (someone who just sits down to write without plotting) and am more often than not surprised by where my story is going. It’s fun, and so far the stories have worked out well, so I’ll enjoy it while it lasts.

13. And just for fun, what's your favorite thing to do when you're not writing?

It depends on my mood. Reading, gaming, playing the guitar, meeting friends…you know, having a life outside my books.

Thanks so much for stopping by!


Purchase The Lost Diadem at the following websites!



Saoirse O’Mara is a children’s and YA writer and home mostly in the fantasy and mystery genres. Check out her website http://saoirseomara.wordpress.com for more information on her and her books, or become a fan of her two series Miro the Dragon (http://facebook.com/MiroDrakonia) and A Rogue’s Tale (http://facebook.com/ARoguesTale) on Facebook.








No comments:

Post a Comment