Monday, September 16, 2013

Author Interview - Doug Couse


This week, author Doug Couse dropped by to tell us about his book Revelation.

1. Tell us a bit about yourself.  

I'm a Colorado native and still enjoying all that this great state has to offer.  I became a believer when I was around 10 years old and although the journey hasn't always been easy, I know God not only walks with me but He goes before me to straighten my path.  I've been married over 20 years and have 2 kids, a horse, a dog, a cat, a fish and a guinea pig.  Yes, my family is pet friendly...to say the least!

2. How long have you been writing?

As long as I can remember.  I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I used to sit in front of a manual typewriter - yes that's right manual typewriter - and hack away, which is how I taught myself how to type.  Even worse, I used to think that the page sizes you see in books, is what you had type it on.  So my early, early writings were all typed on "pages" that I had cut out to match the paperback books of my time.  Yes.  I really did that!

3. What is Revelation about?

Revelation is a story about spiritual warfare and just because we can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't happening around us all day every day.  It's also a story about God's love and how He is with us no matter what we are going through.  If you like angels battling demons and the power of prayer, then Revelation is a perfect read for you.  Throw in the fact that ground zero for the war is a Christian school and you may just be surprised what Revelation will reveal to you.

4. How did you come up with the plot?

I had thought about the plot for awhile and with all of the tragedies around schools, it just seemed to fit what I was trying to convey.  Through prayer, God had given me the beginning and the end of the book first, then helped me fill in the middle.

5. Tell us about Johnathan.  

He is the main character of the story...or the "good" guy.  He has a knack for technology and has started sharing the Word through a video blog he created as part of a school project.  He is a typical teenager with many temptations that I and my friends faced while going to school.  Some things just never change.

6. What do you feel sets your book apart from others of the same genre?

As many reviewers have indicated, they really like the way the book handles the descriptions of angels and demons interacting with humans and in the spiritual realm.  Readers have emailed me how the descriptions of those elements have really opened their eyes to what is going on every day that we can't see.

7. Did you have any specific goals when writing Revelation? Any themes or ideas or concepts that you wanted to get across to the audience?

Yes.  My main goal was to show that regardless of what we face (blessing or tragedy) God is always present and He will walk through it with us.  He will guide and comfort us.  I also wanted Revelation to be just "dark" enough that perhaps non-believers would be interested enough to pick it up, read it, sit back and really think about what they had just read and whether or not they are right with God.

8. How long did it take you to write Revelation? Did you hire any outside help such as a cover artist or editor?  

Once I got serious about writing it, the project took just about a year and half.  With a full time job, I was writing like crazy on weekends, nights and holidays.  I specifically remember two times when God woke me from a sound sleep around 3:00 am to write.  I tried each time to put it off, but I became so restless with the information in my head, I had to get up and write.  That is not like me at all...just ask my wife!  Once I'm in bed, I'm impossible to get out.  I love my sleep.  I hired a local artist to do the cover who I know.  He did a great job and it really gets the concept across of the book.  The editor I hired was part of the publication package I used to finalize the book.

9. Who has been your biggest supporter in your writing aspirations? How do they support you?  

No doubt my wife and family.  They supported me by reading the book throughout the process and giving me feedback.  They also supported me while I typed away for hours on end on weekends and holidays when I should have been paying more attention to them!

10. As I'm sure you know, many readers like to find their favorite authors on social networking websites like facebook and twitter. Do you have any social network or website links you'd like to share? 

You bet!

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/therevelationbook
Twitter: https://twitter.com/revelation_book

11. What do you feel are the most important aspects of a great book?  

The most important aspect to me is that the book needs to convey a message that you (the author) firmly believe in.  Nothing is more annoying for me to invest my time by reading a book and at the end ask myself, what was that all about?

12. Have you ever sat down to write a scene only to have the story take you in a completely different direction than you had planned?

Yes.  This book was pretty much written that way.  My main character changed from what I had originally envisioned.  Then there is the ending...well, you'll just have to read Revelation to see what I mean.

13. And just for fun, what's your favorite thing to do when you're not writing?  

I'm a total gamer geek.  I grew up in the Atari age (the first game console) and have been hooked ever since. Asteroids, Defender, Space Invaders, Galaga...you name it, I've played it and love it.  My Xbox 360 is a great escape for me.  I also love to hike and run in this beautiful state.

Thanks so much for sharing your work with us!

Purchase Revelation at the following websites!






No comments:

Post a Comment