Saturday, July 13, 2013

Dawn

I've been away a long time, I know.  It's been a little over a year since I decided to take a hiatus from writing, and I have to admit that I did not expect I'd be away this long.  But after three years of working my full-time job, coming home to write, then promoting for rest of every night, my endurance was gone.  I didn't just burn myself out, I fried my brain like bacon on a George Foreman grill.  Mmmm... brain bacon.

As most of you know, I've been writing since I was a teenager.  I used writing as an escape from my miserable school life because it provided me a freedom that I didn't have in the real world.  In reality, I was a short little nerd wearing a fanny pack and sweats getting shoved into lockers and harassed in gym.  But in my fantasy world, I could be anything I wanted to be and live fantastic adventures impossible to match in reality.  It was that freedom that drew me to writing and kept me coming back.

Over the past few years, I slowly turned that world of adventure into a business, and it's a routine that had become more of a job than a joy.  I did it to myself with word count expectations, hourly schedules, blog posting routines, graphic work for my sites, obsessing over sales, and so on.  And the worst part is that it caused me to lose interest in writing altogether.  When I sat down at the computer and immediately thought I'd rather be doing ANYTHING else, I should've known something was wrong.

Time away has helped me see it clearly, though.  And I'm glad to say that I'm back to writing.  This time, however, I'm not binding myself with restrictions, goals, deadlines, or routines.  I'm writing whatever I feel like, whenever I feel like, as much as I feel like.  That could be two sentences or ten pages.  My current project is unrelated to anything else I've done - a brand new piece.  I don't yet know what it is or what it might be.  A new novel?  A short story?  Nothing at all?  Not knowing what this is or where it is going has put an excitement back into my writing that has been missing for a long time.  I feel like a teenager again - just me and my adventures.  I can't say when I'll have new material ready for publishing, but I can say that there will be new material.  Whether that will be a new story, Outcry, TFD Volume IV, or something else, I don't know.  All I can say for certain is that my adventures are far from over.

That being said, I'd like to go ahead and announce that I'm working on releasing a bundle set of Volumes I, II, and III of The Fourth Dimension.  Subtitled The Vezulian Trilogy, this set will include Key to the Stars, Alliance of Serpents, and Eye of the Tornado.  Best of all, I hired Emmy-nominated artist Nick Deligaris to create a cover for the upcoming release.

The Fourth Dimension: The Vezulian Trilogy
What do you think?  I mean, I love my anime covers used for the individual volumes, but I figured it was time to test the waters with a more traditional route.  I've had a lot of great feedback about it from my fellow indies, so I'm hoping readers will love it just as much.

While exact pricing has yet to be set, this bundle will be priced lower that the combined total of the three individual volumes, so if you haven't yet jumped into my flagship series, this will be the opportune time!

Thank you all for being so patient while I've been gone.  I also want to give a special thanks to those of you who have written to me about how Building Blocks has affected your lives.  Some of the stories you've shared about growing up in similar situations as Herbie (and worse) have been both inspirational and heartbreaking.  

However, while I appreciate your kindness, the glory belongs to God. Through the years, he has opened my eyes to the connections between the events and how he really does work all things together for the good of those who love him (Romans 8:28).  So never stop picking yourselves up, and never let anyone tell you what you can and cannot achieve in this world, because no hardship can stand against the grace of God.

That's all for now.  I probably won't post as often as I used to, but if you click the "Join This Site" button on the right sidebar, you'll receive email updates whenever I have something new to share.  

I hope 2013 has been good to you all so far!

God bless,
Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment