Thursday, December 20, 2012

Christmas Nostalgia

Being in Missouri is hard around the holidays.  I miss my family and the traditions we used to enjoy together, but times have changed so much that even if I was back in New Jersey, Christmas wouldn't be the same.  My father is gone, and my siblings share the holidays with their own families.  I have Laura, and I feel blessed in that, but I've had a hard time coming to grips with the fact that the Domenic family traditions we grew up with are no more.

I do visit New Jersey for a week each December, and many members of the family do try to stop by for a visit.  I love them and appreciate it - my aunt and cousins stopped by during this year's trip to share a traditional Christmas dinner with us.  And while I enjoyed it and hope that our yearly gatherings can be a new tradition going forward, that nostalgic part of me that clings to the past so strongly has a hard time letting go of things like our trips to the Fountains of Wayne and a family-filled living room on Christmas morning.

It is what it is, though.  We're all adults now, and everything has changed.  Those chapters of our lives are written, scrawled across pages of a book to be revisited whenever nostalgia taps me on the shoulder.  I cherish the memories we had together, and I hope that someday we will be able to create more.

I love and miss you guys.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  I hope 2013 is a great year for you and your families.



See you all in the new year.

God bless,
Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment