Friday, February 17, 2012

Author Interview - Angela Muse

This week's author interview is a little different.  I'm joined by Angela Muse, author of the children's book Lil Glimmer.  A wonderful story with a great message, Lil Glimmer teaches children about consideration for others.

Q: Tell us a bit about yourself.

A: I am a Client Services Manager for a local investment firm, but I have never stopped writing in some form.  I started writing a lot of poetry in high school and a few short stories.  I always found that expressing myself through pen and paper came much more naturally than any other form of expression.  I focused on writing song lyrics for quite a while, but then turned to writing children's books after becoming a Mom.  My husband and I reside in the Atlanta metro area with our two children.

Q: How long have you been writing children's books?

A: I have been a story teller to my children since 2007, but it wasn't until 2009 that I started writing down these stories and that is when I got my first book illustrated.
    
Q: Tell us a bit about Lil Glimmer.  What is it about?

A: Lil Glimmer is an impatient little star who must realize that you have to wait your turn and share.  He tries to pout when he doesn't get his way, but in the end he listens to his mother and learns about sharing.
    
Q: What is the target audience for Lil Glimmer?

A: This book is intended for toddlers aged birth-3 years old.
    
Q: Why should parents buy this book for their children?  What sort of message does the story convey? 

A: I think children will relate to Glimmer's frustrations and impatience and hopefully be able to take away the message that taking turns and sharing are important rules to follow.
    
Q: Where can parents find your books? 

A: You can find the paperback and kindle verson on Amazon, but you can get a reduced copy paperback here:  https://www.createspace.com/3405159.
    
Q: Were there any other authors in particular that inspired you to pen your own novel?

A: J. K. Rowling & Stephanie Meyer inspired me.  Both of these women had great stories, faced lots of rejection and are now household names.  Two great examples of writers who came out of nowhere and reaped much success.
    
Q: Who has been your biggest supporter in your writing aspirations?  How do they support you?

A: I have two wonderful children and a supportive husband and they all love to read.  My husband helps me edit the text and my kids give me great story ideas.
    
Q: What do you think of the changes taking place in the publishing industry?  With authors gaining more control over the creation and distribution of their work, what do you think readers stand to gain/lose? 

A: Unfortunately with the addition of so many self-published authors in the ebook world it can be hard for readers to find good quality.  However, it also allows authors who may have a lot of talent to enter the arena and have some success.  I would suggest that readers read reviews, also review the book sample online and once you find a quality author that you like keep reading more of what they write.
    
Q: And just for fun, name one random fact about yourself. 

A: I am a big Denver Broncos fan.  I lived in Denver when I started watching football around 6-7 years old and I have followed the team ever since.  I live in Atlanta now so I also cheer on the Falcons except when the Falcons play the Broncos.  When that happens I have to go with the orange and blue.

Q: Is there anything else you would like to share with readers?

A: I can't wait to get more feedback from readers on this book and you can look for my next book, The Nutt Family, aimed at children aged 4-8 years old coming soon!
  
Thanks so much for spending time with us today.  Good luck with your books, and we hope to have you back again soon!

As a special bonus, Angela has graciously offered to give away a free paperback copy to one of you!  Just leave a comment below and you'll be entered into a drawing to win!  Any ol' comment will do!


No comments:

Post a Comment