Saturday, May 7, 2011

Record Breaking Month and $0.99

Had a record breaking sales month in April! Hundreds of readers downloaded Key to the Stars, Alliance of Serpents, and Eye of the Tornado. On top of that, there were a good number of downloads for Retail Ramblings. That kind of surprised me because I haven't promoted it quite as much.

So, from the depths of my heart, thank you so much for your interest in The Fourth Dimension! I hope you'll continue to enjoy the series as new volumes are released going forward. My only request is that you leave your reviews of each book on respective websites from which they were purchased. For those of us in the indie writing universe, your reviews help us greatly in trying to reach more readers.

A good deal of last months success comes from my $0.99 price point. There's been a bit of debate regarding ebook pricing, so I figured I'd weigh in with my opinion. Please understand, this is my opinion.

First and foremost, an indie writer has the right to price his or her work at whatever amount they deem fit so long as it is within the limits of the distributor's guidelines. I say that because I noted someone recently stating that we should have more respect for all the hard work, long nights, and countless hours that went into our projects by charging more than $0.99 for the finished product. And for that person, that might be true.

What is overlooked here is the goal of the writer. Right now, my goal is to attract readers. I just want people to enjoy my books. I want to get my name out there. I want to get readers' opinions, feedback, comments, and suggestons. I'll worry about money later. The ebook market blesses us with such precise control over our works; we can change the price whenever we want. And I do eventually hope to be able to make a living from my writing. It's unlikely that I'll be able to do that at a $0.99 price point. But for now, I'm not focused on income. I'm focused on spreading the word and sharing my books.

Other people may have different motives. I've heard some readers say that they usually pass right over $0.99 books because they don't expect them to be well-written works of quality literature. I can understand that point; given the choice between Energizer or Shop-n-Save batteries, I'll go for the Energizer even though it's more expensive. Our society has trained us to automatically feel as though a higher price means a better product. So I can see that perspective.

But I've done a lot of price shifting of my books. They've been $0.99, $2.99, $4.99, and $9.99. $2.99 saw some sales. $4.99 and $9.99 saw next to nothing. $0.99 has brought me my best month of sales ten times over.

So I'll be sticking with $0.99 for now.

My fellow authors may agree. They may disagree. It doesn't matter. Each of them needs to do what they feel meets their needs the best; that's why it's so great that we have the flexibility of pricing that we do.

That's just how I see it, anyway.

God bless,
Kevin

2 comments:

  1. interesting viewpoints, Kevin, well done - i've published within the last few days, and am still undecided about price point!
    Can I ask, the use of the phrase 'ten times over' - is that literal? :-)

    ReplyDelete