Saturday, May 7, 2011

Author Interview: Melissa Smith


Melissa Smith, author of Cloud Nine, recently stopped by and chatted with me about herself and her book. Here's the transcript of our interview!

1. Tell us a bit about yourself.


I am the mother of two teenaged boys. I have been married to my best friend for the past 14 years and he's still just as goofy and wonderful as when we were in high school. Yup, I've known him since the 7th grade! Only now he's not quite so gross. Oh wait, I take that back. Yes he is but I love him anyway. ;-)

2. How long have you been writing?

I've been writing since I was in school, but only recently did I actually finish a full length book. (Oh wait; I've finished two full length books!)

3. What is Cloud Nine about?

Guardian angels are real. Only where everybody believes that everyone already has one, that's not true. You have to be chosen as needing assistance to get a Guardian. And even then the arrangement is only temporary. Sterling Warde is a Guardian. And while with a Charge he crosses paths with Claire. Instantly he feels a pull towards her and wants to find out why.

4. How did you come up with the plot?

Well when I was younger I used to day dream about having my very own genie. Only my genie was different. It looked like a cloud and wasn’t constrained to the 3 wish policy. I could ask for anything and I would get everything. Then one night I had a dream about this genie and woke up thinking that this would make a great children’s book. Well, it took on a life of its own and voila! Paranormal romance.

5. Tell us about Claire Grayson.

Claire is your typical teenaged girl. She goes to school. Hangs out with her friends, and on occasion has a boyfriend. Her parents both work so she has a lot of free time to herself. As an only child she just wishes that her parents were home a little more often.

She works hard and gets good grades and will graduate very soon.

6. What do you feel sets your book apart from others of the same genre?

Well in other paranormal romances,(which I enjoy reading) the two main characters have to prove to themselves why they can be together. They want each other but think that they are wrong for them, or they want them but they’re an enemy and being with this person who makes them feel alive will alienate them from their friends. Throughout the whole of these stories the couple fight their feelings for one another while trying to convince their friends why they should get to have a relationship with this person they’ve fallen in love with. In Cloud Nine, Claire and Sterling want to be together so they are. They only have to deal with their ex’s. And where a typical romance has a love triangle, Cloud Nine is a love diamond. Claire and Sterling each have an ex that want them back and are willing to do almost anything to win them over.

7. Did you have any specific goals when writing Cloud Nine? Any themes or ideas or concepts that you wanted to get across to the audience?

Only that I hoped to weave a story that the reader falls in love with. A story that the reader wants to revisit time and time again. I want the reader to fall in love with the characters as I have.

8. Describe your ideal protagonist. What traits do he or she embody?

I want a character that feels real. Not to overly strong that their opposite has to work so hard to break down, but someone strong enough to handle what comes at them. I want someone who can show emotion and not be afraid of it, or see it as a weakness. If I can create someone like this, then I’m happy.

9. Can you tell me about the first thing you ever wrote? Was it a short story? Book? Magazine article?

The first thing I ever wrote that was of any length at all was in the 5th grade. We were given the assignment of creating a new myth. I chose wind and when I was done it was seven pages long (front and back) and hand written. I got a B for it and I believe I still have that story. I think.

10. As I'm sure you know, many readers like to find their favorite authors on social networking websites like facebook and twitter. Do you have any social network links you'd like to share?

I can be found on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Melissa.Smith.Books

twitter @Melissa__Smith_

my blog: http://melissasmithbooks.wordpress.com/

or my website http://melissasmithbooks.zoomshare.com/

11. What do you feel are the most important aspects of a great book?

If it draws you back again and again then it’s a great book. If you want to buy it for your own personal library then it’s a great book.

12. Were there any other authors in particular that inspired you to pen your own novel?

I’ve read several great authors and I have to choose one? But two of my favorite authors are Lynn Kurland and Brent Weeks. I seriously could go on with this list but I’ll keep it short.

13. And just for fun, favorite movie or television series?

I really don’t watch TV. I read. But I loved Monk when it was on. I also like to watch Psych and Mythbusters. My all-time favorite movie is Ever After. Best version of Cinderella there is.

Thank you very much for spending time with me today! Best of luck to you in the future!



Cloud Nine at Amazon.com

Cloud Nine at Smashwords.com
Cloud Nine at Barnes & Noble
Cloud Nine at Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment